Thursday 23 September 2010

Office Treats

As a reward for completing my course at The Oxford College of Garden Design I have treated myself to a few items that will help with up and coming projects for my new Garden Design and Construction business based in West Sussex.

The new 27'' I Mac is a clear choice among designers, architects and any others needing a powerful computer that can handle large CAD/ 3D Design files.  With masses of power it will out perform many of its PC rivals and makes many jobs simpler, quicker and easier, no waiting around for large files to update, or 3D models being apparently cut in half while being edited, which can happen when creating large Google Sketchup files.  The large 27 inch screen also increases your workspace and allows easy viewing of work, and multi tasking with different programmes running together.


As a second weapon to my inventory, I have also upgraded from my Vectorworks Student license to the full version of Vectorworks Landmark 2010.  Although a free 1 year student license trial is fantastic for getting to grips with the software, when it comes to running a business, a full license is definitely required.  It removes watermarks that are created on sheets in the student version and allows you to customise and keep all the symbols and plant information you create.  For more infomation on the benefits of Vectorworks for your business and to purchase your own copy visit the helpful people at http://www.vectorworks-training.co.uk/


My final purchase is Google Sketchup Pro 8.  Differences between the Pro version and free versions are vast.  The Pro version is a lot more intuative and interavtive with other programmes.  You are able to create files and export them between other design packages such as Vectorworks.  There is also the ability to directly import land survey files, saving hours of times and effort drawing up boundaries and trying to correctly plot existing levels, services and existing features.  A couple of neat new features include:
  • Model geo-location with Google Maps
  • Color imagery and more accurate terrain
  • Powerful programme  Layout and Style Builder
To conclude, my new I Mac and computer software that go with it will be great added tools to my buisness, helping with projects both present and future.


1 comment:

  1. I have been in business for 3 years now and have just treated myself to a similar set of essential tools. The 27" iMac is fantastic and the Vectorworks is waiting for lull in the busy autumn workload to be loaded. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete